As I mentioned in my last post, when I was figuring out what I wanted to do for Cynthia’s Yearlong 50th Birthday Bash, I managed—sadly—to omit fun entirely. Sure, launching a project or doing something new can be fun, but it’s not the same as fun for the sake of fun. My ex-husband, Michael 1.0, was good at reminding me to have more fun, but without his influence I tend to forget. (I know, I know. What can I say? It’s sad but true.) So I’ve been making an effort this year to consciously seek out fun.
Then a friend told me that for her 50th birthday she made a list of activities she wanted to do and asked her friends to join her. I loved this idea, and so, the concept of The FUN List was born.
Here are the ground rules: I made a list of things I’ve always wanted to do but never gotten around to doing. Or things I haven’t done in awhile and want to do again. I will be adding to the list over time, so consider this one merely a start. If you think I’ve forgotten something, go ahead and suggest the addition. After all, I’m clearly in need of help when it comes to fun. If there is something on the list that looks fun to you, let me know and we’ll do it together!
So without further ado, here is my FUN List:
- Drive to Half Moon Bay for fresh seafood and visit “Dog Beach” with Katie and Delta.
- Visit the Oakland Zoo once more before school starts.
- Attend Friday Night at the de Young. (I missed the tango exhibition, but there are others.)
- Drive to Muir Woods and hike.
- Have mac and cheese with bacon at The Rock House in Livermore.
- Visit my friend Jenn in Albuquerque, NM and read at DimeStories.
- Take Katie to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and ride the wooden rollercoaster.
- A fall weekend in Yosemite.
- Check out the Exploratorium in its new waterfront location.
- Hike in an East Bay Regional Park (Morgan Territory, Sunol, etc) once per month.
- Visit Sedona, AZ and Santa Fe, NM again.
- Wine tasting in Livermore with friends.
- Visit the Japanese Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park in the spring.
- Take Katie camping at Camp Shelley in South Lake Tahoe and make s’mores.
- Visit New York City.
- Visit the California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park.
- See the monarch butterflies in Pacific Grove (November through January).
- Take a road trip to Portland, OR.
- See the Columbia River Gorge and Multnomah Falls.
- Visit the Rosie the Riveter Museum in Richmond.
- Have drinks at The Last Word in Livermore.
- Go to a yoga retreat.
- Visit Catalina Island.
- Take Katie to Disneyland (after they resolve the disability pass situation).
- Spend a weekend in Palm Springs.
- Go snowshoeing in the Sierras.
- Eat an ice cream sandwich from C.R.E.A.M.
- Visit the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Wild Animal Park.
- Stay at the Rancho la Puerta Wellness Center in Tecate, Mexico for a week of R&R.
- Go white water rafting.
- Ride mules to the bottom of the Grand Canyon.
- Visit Paris again.
- Spend a month (or the summer) in the South of France.
I think that will do for a start! Now go create your own FUN List and let’s compare notes.
Until next time,